World Water is celebrated on March 22nd every year. It focuses on the approximately 1.8 billion people worldwide who must rely on water contaminated with feces, putting them at risk of contracting cholera, dysentery, typhoid, polio and other waterborne diseases.
In recognition of World Water Day, WASRAG will award two prizes:
$500 US for the best project (i.e. the one with the most impact)
$500 US for the most innovative project
What must you do?
Whatever works best for your community! All we ask is that the project improve the quality of water and/or level of awareness of it in YOUR community.
You could, for example:
- Clean up debris along a waterway, lake, stream, or other water source.
- Prevent erosion by planting trees and native plants along a water source.
- Build awareness in your community – encourage students to write essays on the importance of water and what THEY can do to protect it.
- Encourage farmers in your area to use eco-friendly chemicals that will not damage fragile water systems.
- If your community’s water source is safe, eliminate plastic water bottles. If they are a necessity ensure they are collected and recycled appropriately.
Use your imagination! The bottom line is to educate your community on the importance of protecting its water sources. Get them involved!
Whenever possible, please consult with your local water or conservation authority to ensure that your efforts are compatible with conditions in your area! For example, cleaning a watercourse during spawning season could have a negative impact.
How do you enter the competition?
Submit a brief description of your project, including what you have done, the target audience and the expected impact of the project. Remember to tell us your Club name and District number and give us a contact name, email address and phone number. Some projects will be showcased on the WASRAG website.
DEADLINE: Please submit your entry by May 1st, 2018.
AWARDS: Winners will be notified by May 31st, 2018. The awards will be presented at WASRAG’s Annual General Meeting on Saturday June 23rd, 2018.
Please send all entries to firstname.lastname@example.org