July 4th marked a special day for Rotary in Granville County. The Rotary Club of the Kerr Tar Region was formally chartered by Rotary International on July 4th. This new club joins two other clubs in the county, the Rotary Club of Oxford and the South Granville Rotary Club. The new Kerr Tar Club has a unique structure and meeting schedule. Rather than meeting weekly, the Kerr Tar Club has two official meetings each month, typically one social get together and one service event. Optional meetings are also offered each month. The dues structure and the time commitment are kept to a minimum to attract members that might not be able to fit a weekly lunch or dinner meeting into their busy schedules.
The Kerr Tar Rotary Club service activities are focused in three areas: mentoring youth, improving education and reducing hunger. Projects include:
- Take a Kid to the Ballgame—Rotarians will reward children from the Oxford Housing Authority summer education program by taking them to a Durham Bulls game on August 7th.
- Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA)—the club will sponsor 1-3 high school juniors to attend this popular leadership training program
- Mentor Interact Club members in local high schools
- Reading Buddies program at West Oxford Elementary School
- A large education-focused project is under development
- Area Congregations in Ministry—support the food pantry through hands-on projects and food drives
- Emergency Food Box program—participate in this program in conjunction with the Rotary Clubs of Oxford, Roxboro and Henderson
Please ‘Like’ the Kerr Tar Rotary’ Facebook page, where you will find all club meeting times and locations. Additionally, club members and potential members can keep track of club events through a special Kerr Tar Rotary app for their smart phone.
If you would like to support this fledgling club, by supporting their ‘It’s Raining Cats & Dogs’ fundraiser. They will be dropping plastic critters, with the closest to the target winning. There are a total of 25 prizes. The event will be held on September 10, 2016. You can purchase a “critter” or become a sponsor. Sponsors will receive publicity throughout the 2016-17 Rotary year! Purchases may be made online here: https://squareup.com/store/kerr-tar-rotary/ or by contacting the club at: KerrTarRotary@yahoo.com .